Jimmybeam01
Safe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynitrous View Post
Shouldn't have to machine anything to make it work

If you have a 305, andyour using a stock converter, it should fit

Make sure the flywheel is on the correct way

A vibration at 55-65mph would have 0 to do with a torque converter, just sayin

And i don't think the pilot on the converter goes very far into the crank, and i don't think its any sort of "snug" fit either.
That's why I'm confused on what's going on. I don't want to machine anything. Like you said. The flywheel is on correct, confirmed that. But wow there is a ton of slop with that torque converter, when you bring it up to the flywheel which already there is a 1/2 gap... I thought besides all the different ranges in torque converters, I thought those dowels in the center, were all standard? I've never ran into this problem but it's a pretty big issue now and it's cost me 3 Trans so far. Pinion angle is good... I'm just at a dead end and sick of stabbing the Trans in and out all the time. But I agree with you..
Jimmybeam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
troynitrous
Wi1320 Resident

Can you slide the converter forward till it touches the flywheel?

If so.....i'd use a spacer/shim of some sort to lessen that gap.

What is going bad in these trans's that you keep replacing them?
Sorta like stock suspension, but not really
troynitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
Jimmybeam01
Safe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynitrous View Post
Can you slide the converter forward till it touches the flywheel?

If so.....i'd use a spacer/shim of some sort to lessen that gap.

What is going bad in these trans's that you keep replacing them?
Pumps. The torque converter wasn't in the Trans all the way cause I would pull it out so far to bolt it to the torque converter. But yea gonna pull it all apart measure crap get a spacer. But that vibration I have no idea where it's coming from but after I put this Trans in with this different torque converter it vibrated even more this time so that's why I'm focusing on that part.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #14
Jimmybeam01
Safe Racer

Issue resolved. Got a new flex plate and torque converter. This torque converter is a hughs and the bolts thread into the part itself all the other ones were skinnier "the torque converter " this one the gap is perfect bolted up nice. Engaged in the Trans and night and tight against the plate. The vibration is gone, the flex plates look slightly different but not by much. Weight on it is a little bigger. But happy as shit and driving the nova around without the front clip is pretty fun haha can't do that for long so here in the next couple days I'm putting the front end together and today I'm buying Audi leather seats for it, should look slick
Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
Jimmybeam01
Safe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybeam01 View Post
Issue resolved. Got a new flex plate and torque converter. This torque converter is a hughs and the bolts thread into the part itself all the other ones were skinnier "the torque converter " this one the gap is perfect bolted up nice. Engaged in the Trans and night and tight against the plate. The vibration is gone, the flex plates look slightly different but not by much. Weight on it is a little bigger. But happy as shit and driving the nova around without the front clip is pretty fun haha can't do that for long so here in the next couple days I'm putting the front end together and today I'm buying Audi leather seats for it, should look slick
So in conclusion I believe it was a combination of play in those ears on the torque converter where you bolt the plate to it. Possibly the larger weight is what I needed on this flex plate? And the little bit of slop in the ears contributed to the vibration? Beats the hell out of me. Glad it's gone though.